Michigan Mountain Biking fella who has a fancy to drink red wine.

Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Single and 29 inches

Tax return time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Boy, that money was just burning a hole in my pocket (oozing of sarcasm)...
I purchase ANOTHER bike.
UGH!
I think it was a good idea...
I have always been fascinated with single speed bikes.
No gears to mess with, no random shifting, no dropping chains, and less items to break.
I have also convinced myself that having a single speed will increase my stamina and endurance for mountain biking in general. I honestly believe(hope) this is true. I did take my most recent purchase on a simple rail trail recently, and it was awesome cardio.

I got a good deal from a LBS on the following Gary Fisher Single Speed:



here is a pic from the front:



The Gary Fisher Single Speed Rig seems like a good bike for the price. The fork is a Reba SL which on its own is not much cheaper than the entire price I spent on the "rig". The part I worry about is that this bike (circa 2006) has had issues with frame cracking (and therefore called Gary Fissure). I have never heard anyone say that it WASN'T ever covered under warranty - but it may take some time for a replacement. The Rig is also a 29er - which means it has 29" tires compared to the typical 26" mountain bike. I love 29ers.... Michigan seems "root and rock" plentiful - and the bigger tire makes a significant difference for my riding.

I also plan on "lightening" up the Gary Fisher Rig (commonly called the Pig due to its weight for being a single speed) and taking the heavier components and building up a 9-speed out of my Rekken frame.

2 Days to a trip to Tennessee and North Carolina for some big time riding!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home